Students flock home for Thanksgiving Day

Justin Tardiff | Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Whether they travel by car, plane or even foot, many students will take the opportunity to spend time with their families and enjoy a good Thanksgiving dinner over this week’s break.

Freshman James Wilson will be heading home on Wednesday to Grand Rapids, Mich., to share a Thanksgiving Day meal with his family.

But Wilson said he will also spend some time with friends from high school. On Friday, he plans to reunite with his old friends and take a trip to watch his former high school football team play for the state championship in Detroit.

Sophomore Ben Gunty, on the other hand, will spend the break with his family in South Bend. His trip won’t require flight delays or holiday traffic jams.

“I’ll probably walk home since I live about a mile from campus,” Gunty said.

Sophomore Cici Zhang is going home to Chicago, where she plans to spend Thanksgiving with her family and see the play “Rent.”

While the trip home might be a long haul for most students, some, like Gunty, do not have to travel very far for their Thanksgiving break.

Junior Caitlin Mahan will be going a bit further – visiting family in southern New Jersey. She had the same plan last year, but Mother Nature intervened.

“Last year it snowed, and I couldn’t go home,” Mahan said. “Hopefully, that does not happen again.”

Other students, like senior Davin Costa, will be spending their Thanksgiving away from home. Costa plans to stay in Knott during the break.

“I have a lot of work to do,” he said.

But work isn’t the only reason Costa plans to stay in South Bend. His home in Kauai, Hawaii is too far away to return to over the break.

“I would not have any time there if I went home,” Costa said. “As much as I would like to go home, I will miss Thanksgiving with my family for the fourth year in a row.”

But no one needs to worry about Costa not getting a good meal on Thanksgiving.

“I plan on eating Thanksgiving dinner with my friends at Castle Point,” he said.