The BCS works?

Bowl Championship Series. Are there any other three words that inspire more disgust and the occasional expletive from any college football fan worth their salt.

Auburn went undefeated last season, in the SEC nonetheless, and was left out of the national championship game. Two years ago, Oklahoma lost by more than four touchdowns to Kansas State in the Big 12 championship game and made making the national championship game. Four years ago, Nebraska lost to Colorado, yet was still chosen over 10-1 Oregon for the national championship game, where they proceeded to lose by 23 points to Miami.

Every year there is inevitably some controversy surrounding the BCS at the end of the season. Except this year.

It looked as though this season would finally be the year that proved the irreconcilable flaws of the BCS. However, thanks to losses by Georgia, Alabama and Virginia Tech all within the last three weeks, the BCS escaped yet another disaster.

But the BCS didn't just escape disaster. It has been put on a crash course for one of the best college football games in recent memory.

Barring Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and Vince Young all simultaneously breaking their legs within the next two weeks, USC and Texas are on a path to meet for what could be one of the most hyped and, more importantly, one of the most evenly matched college football games ever.

Just imagine the possibilities. USC, currently on a 28 game winning streak, versus a Texas team that has won its 10 games this year by an average of 35 points. Matt Leinert, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith trying to outscore Jamaal Charles, Billy Pittman, Limas Sweed and Vince Young. The scoreboard operator will be in for a very busy night.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as much against the BCS as all of you barring those few people that actually support this system. If it were up to me, we would be looking forward to an eight-team playoff (which Notre Dame would be included in).

As a college football fan, though, all I really ask for is that the best two teams be matched up at the end of the season. This year, I couldn't ask for anything better, outside, of course, of an Irish appearance in the National Championship game. Seeing as how that won't happen this year, strong emphasis on this year, I'm already counting down the days until Jan. 4 when I can plop down on my couch and watch what I expect to be the best national championship game of the past decade. Strangely enough, we have the BCS to thank for it.