SAB schedules events that appeal to campus

While the task of planning activities that appeal to an entire student body can be daunting, the Student Activities Board works to overcome the challenge by organizing events to improve the quality of campus life.

Under the direction of SAB president Megan Cahill, SAB committee members work to plan campus-wide events such as the traditional SMC Tostal and Jamaica Shaka, while also introducing new events to the College community.

The annual dance held during freshman orientation attracted a record number of students this year. Cahill said this increase in attendance was due in part to an amazing 80s cover band that SAB scheduled to perform at the event.

"Myself along with the two chairwomen of Jamaica Shaka, Cassie Callon and Noelle Whiteside, wanted to make the event as successful as possible to give the first-years a fun time during this hard week," she said.

This year SAB introduced "Sundaes on Sunday," an event that invites students to watch "Desperate Housewives" in Vander Venet Theater while enjoying a free ice cream sundae.

The Board also held the annual Twilight Tailgate this year, despite the cancellation of SMC's annual Pride Week. The Tailgate is a picnic on the library quad that was typically part of the Pride Week events.

One traditional event that did not occur this year was the College's co-sponsorship of a Notre Dame football pep rally. Cahill said this event was not cancelled permanently, and she hopes it will be able to occur again in the future. SMC was unable to co-sponsor a pep rally due to several unnamed reasons, including changes in the rallies' organization, she said.

Cahill said she is very dependant on her committee members to create and plan campus events.

"I am really lucky to have an energetic and hardworking board," she said.

Cahill and the Board are looking forward to activities planned for next semester, including the annual SMC Tostal.

"We are planning to completely change SMC Tostal by bringing in a big-name band," she said. "We will be sharing more about this when the event gets closer."