-

The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.

-

archive

Football Recruiting: 16-year old Oglesby at top of junior class

Joe Meixell | Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fifteen of the country’s top 100 high school juniors were among the players to attend a recruiting Junior Day held by Irish coach Charlie Weis and his staff earlier this month.

But according to Mike Frank of Irisheyes.com, the only junior who has a scholarship offer from Notre Dame was a player who did not even attend the Jan. 14 event – offensive lineman Josh Oglesby.

The 16-year old Oglesby is a 6-foot-7, 325-pound offensive tackle out of Saint Francis High School in St. Francis, Wis. Despite his age, he is one of the top recruits in the nation with offers already from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Tennessee and Michigan, among several others.

The Observer could not reach Oglesby for comment Monday.

He was unable to make it to South Bend for the Junior Day (which coincided with the Irish men’s basketball team’s 92-77 home victory over Providence) but told Irisheyes.com that he has “not eliminated a school” from his list of potential destinations.

Oglesby has visited the Notre Dame campus several times, seeing the Irish lose 34-31 to then-No. 1 Southern California on Oct. 15 and watching a 41-21 Notre Dame win over Tennessee on Nov. 5.

Notre Dame intends to sign six offensive linemen on Feb. 1 for its upcoming class, but the Irish coaches will be able to be more selective in terms of what linemen they recruit in next year’s class.

“They can be kind of picky in terms of who they bring in because of how many linemen they are bringing in this year,” Frank said in an interview with The Observer Monday.

Frank believes Oglesby, if he eventually signs with Notre Dame next year, will be part of a group of three or four lineman that Weis will bring in.

Notes:

u Cornerback recruit Raeshon McNeil, who verbally committed to Notre Dame on Aug. 15, made a recruiting visit to Florida on Jan. 20.

He did not return The Observer’s calls Monday.