SMC Swimming: Belles fall to Alma

Alma defeated Saint Mary's 119-60 Tuesday, and won nine of 11 events in the first MIAA meet for both teams. This was also the first meet for the Belles after a long winter training break. The Belles performed well in the swimming events, but lack of divers led to a forfeit in those areas.

The Belles picked up three first-place finishes on the night, with two by Kelly Nelis. Nelis won the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:44.51 and the 1,000 yard freestyle, touching at 11:32.01. Karla McGough took first in the 200-yard freestyle, finishing in 2:19.34.

The Scots' Emily Smith took first in the 200 IM, touching out in 2:24.43. Katie Dingeman and Katie Carroll took second and fourth in the race, respectively. Smith's teammate Sara Swanton was first in the 200 fly in a time of 2:33.32, but Dingeman took second with 2:36.76.

Alma's Trzeciak was first in the 100 free with a time of 1:00.36, but Kelly Tighe posted a second-place finish for the Belles.

Coe took first place in the 200 back while Dolan was first in the 200 breast stroke.

The Scots wrapped up with a 200 free relay win - Coe, Smith, Dolan and Trzeciak recorded a time of 1:52.37 en route to the team victory.

The next meet for the Belles is at Rolfs Aquatic Center versus Kalamazoo on Friday. The Women Hornets of Kalamazoo beat Alma 158-78 a few weeks ago. The Belles will certainly look again for leadership to Dingeman, their senior captain who has said previously that the team is in high spirits and strives everyday to improve swimmers' individual times.