Women's Tennis: Team dominates, shuts outs both Ohio State and Xavier

The No. 22 Irish (2-0) had little trouble securing victories in their doubleheader against Ohio State (2-1) and Xavier (1-1) Saturday.

Notre Dame shut out both opponents with 7-0 victories and took all 30 sets against its regional foes.

"We didn't lose many games and were really efficient on the court," freshman Kelcy Tefft said. "We didn't make it as long of a day."

Against the Buckeyes in doubles, the No. 1 doubles team of junior twins Christian and Catrina Thompson were first off the court with an 8-1 victory over Ohio State's Caitlin O'Keefe and Julie Blackmore.

"The Thompsons are extremely humble, and their work ethic sets the pace and tone for the rest of us," freshman Katie Potts said.

The duo was followed off the court by the No. 35-ranked pair of sophomore Brook Buck and Tefft with an 8-2 win over Angela Diastina and Sonia Ruzimovsky.

The final pairing of No. 45 seniors Kiki Stastny and captain Lauren Connelly defeated Ohio State's Ciara Finucane and Kristin Messmer 8-5.

"Our doubles team as a whole are amongst the top in the country," Potts said. "[Coach] Jay [Louderback] said it should be a rare occasion if we lose a doubles point."

Tefft agreed.

"Our team has the best doubles in the nation with all three teams ranked," she said.

The motivation and strength of the doubles matches appeared to carry over into singles, and the Irish took all six matches over Ohio State.

Playing at No. 1 for the Irish, No. 24 Catrina Thompson defeated O'Keefe 6-2, 6-3, followed by her sister No. 44 Christian Thompson in a 6-2, 6-1 win over DiPastina at No. 2. Nos. 3 and 5, Buck and Stastny, continued the trend by topping Ruzimovsky 6-2, 6-1 and Messmer 6-2, 6-3, respectively.

In their dual-match debuts in singles, No. 4 Tefft and No. 6 Potts claimed victories over Blackmore and Finucane, respectively.

"Everyone came out and played so well, and [the other teams] didn't give us much of a problem," Tefft said.

In their second match against Xavier, the Irish only lost 11 games in singles against the Musketeers - the fewest by the Irish since Jan. 30, 1999 against Kansas State.

Key matches came from Stastny - the only Irish player to compete in singles and doubles in both matches, who defeated Xavier's Kara Courtney 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3, - Connelly - her 6-0, 6-0 decision over Annie Diedalis secured the victory for the Irish - and senior Kelly Nelson. Nelson defeated Sarah Pots 6-3, 6-3 in her dual match debut in singles.

The Irish return to the court to face No. 24 Wake Forest on Feb. 11, followed by No. 11 UNC on Feb. 12.

"We are hoping to get a win against [UNC] and that will really help our confidence [as the season progresses]," Tefft said.