Club Sports: Women's Water polo wins four straight, slips in final

Notre Dame's women's water polo club swept through four opponents before dropping the title game to Miami of Ohio this weekend at Eastern Michigan.

In the opening 16-1 victory over Dayton, every member of the club contributed to the score.

The Irish blanked Ohio 21-0 in the second round, as Junior Caitlin Shorrock and freshman Maggie Hyde combined to register the club's first shutout of the year. The Irish then faced the host Eastern Michigan, and posted a solid 12-3 win in front of their home crowd. The tournament finale saw the Irish drop a 10-4 decision to rival Miami of Ohio. Senior Kristy Bohling rifled home two goals, while junior Bridget O'Neill and freshman Kelly Horner each put a shot in the cage to account for all the scoring.

The Irish will next head to California for a week-long training camp featuring games against tough west coast varsity and club teams. The Irish will host the division championship April 22-23 in Rolfs Aquatics, with the winning team advancing to the Nationals. Miami will be the top seed, with the Irish seeded second.

Gymnastics

The Notre Dame Gymnastics Club competed this weekend at the Indiana University Big Red Classic. Several gymnasts had strong performances and received their highest scores of the season. The Irish continue to improve and appear to be peaking at the right time.

The Notre Dame women were led by Anne Krishnan and Wendy Svetanoff, as each placed in two events. Krishnan placed second on beam and fourth on vault, while Svetanoff placed fifth on vault and sixth on beam. Additionally, Krishnan placed sixth in the all-around and continues to anchor the team. Solid performances were also turned in by Cecilia Torres, Kelleen O'Leary, Kelly Pirozzi and Maura Steed. Several gymnasts increased the difficulty for their routines for this meet and received season high scores. The women's meet was won by Miami of Ohio.

The Notre Dame men also turned in a strong performance. Competitors included Brian Dunn, Paul Kane and Joe Lillie. The Notre Dame men failed to field a complete team score, due to injury. The men's meet was won by the University of Illinois. The Irish look forward to being healthy and having a complete team at the Clover Classic on March 25 at Gymnastics Michiana. The Classic will complete the regular season.