-

-

ND senior remains in hospital

Karen Langley | Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Notre Dame senior Brian Cardile remained hospitalized Tuesday after sustaining head injuries when he was hit by a car early Sunday morning, officials said.

Cardile was in fair condition Tuesday at Memorial Hospital in South Bend, a nurse said Tuesday night.

Witnesses told South Bend police officers Cardile walked into East Edison Road in front of a moving vehicle driven by Chicago resident Jon Schoenweter at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday, the South Bend Tribune reported Monday. Schoenweter was uninjured.

The South Bend Police Department did not return calls seeking comment Tuesday night.

Cardile, a former Keenan Hall resident who now lives at Turtle Creek Apartments, was struck by a car “while walking home [from] the Linebacker [Lounge],” Keenan rector Father Mark Thesing said in an e-mail sent Sunday night to current Keenan residents and former residents now living off-campus.

“I would not be surprised if he is released from the hospital within the next few days,” Thesing said in an e-mail to The Observer Tuesday night.

Thesing visited Cardile Sunday afternoon and explained the situation to the dorm in his Sunday night e-mail.

“[Cardile] was alert and communicative, although very tired and experiencing a good deal of pain,” Thesing said in the Sunday night e-mail. “At this point, none of his injuries appear to be life-threatening. He will have a long recovery process.”

Thesing asked residents to keep Cardile and his family in their prayers.

A close friend of Cardile’s who was contacted by The Observer Tuesday night subsequently spoke to Cardile, who requested he not comment.