Sophomore parents visit College

Justin Tardiff | Friday, February 17, 2006

With the football season over and a bristling winter setting in, most students go months without seeing their family.

But all that will change for Saint Mary’s sophomores the weekend of Feb. 17-19 for Sophomore Parent’s Weekend at the College. Students are preparing to see their parents and celebrate this year’s theme – “Ladies of the 80s.”

Local hotels are filling up quickly, and sophomores are getting excited for the highly anticipated weekend.

“I’m really looking forward to my parents having a direct involvement in my environment,” sophomore Beth McKevitt said. “Seeing my parents with my friends and their parents will be a nice change from normal.”

For some students like sophomore Siobhan Lezynski, the most anticipated event is the presidential reception and formal dinner at the Palais Royale Saturday night.

“I’m definitely excited about the dinner,” Lezynski said. “I live far away and really look forward to seeing my parents. This will be the only time I see them until summer.”

The weekend activities will begin with a disco party Friday night. Saturday events include an academic open house, a tour of the South Bend Chocolate Factory and an all-class mass held in the Church of Loretto. The night will conclude with the Palais Royale dinner.

During the dinner there will be a slide show containing pictures submitted by members of the sophomore class. There will be a silent auction for gift baskets to benefit the class of 2008, followed by dancing.

The Sophomore Parent’s Weekend Committee, headed by Kelly MacDonald, has been planning the event since last semester, and students had to fill out invitations before Thanksgiving.

Most students will not attend every event.

“I’m sure we’ll go to most of the events, but my parents have not met any of my friends yet, so that will be what most of the weekend is for,” sophomore Natalie Manese said.

McKevitt said her parents wanted to have a tailgate before the disco party on Friday, but “we’ll see if that actually happens,” she said. “We’re definitely going to the tour of the chocolate factory.”

Whether or not the students attend all of the events, the weekend is about creating interactions between family and friends, McKevitt said.

“It is going to be a totally different situation than the last time all of our parents were here with us,” McKevitt said. “That was back moving in our first year, and everyone was wondering how their daughters would do away from home. This time is to show them that we’re all just fine.”