The Observer names next General Board

The Observer has hired department editors for all but two 2006-07 General Board positions, incoming Editor in Chief Mike Gilloon announced Tuesday.

The appointments are effective March 20.

Two of the 11 positions are being filled by those who have previously served in their posts. Jim Kirihara has served as Controller since the fall of 2005 and will continue through this semester before becoming Business Manager next fall. Graham Ebetsch will remain as editor of the Graphics Department through 2006-07. He has held that post since the spring of 2005.

The nine new General Board appointments are:

uMary Kate Malone and Amanda Michaels, News Editors

u Ken Fowler, Sports Editor

uBrian Doxtader, Scene Editor

uDustin Mennella, Photo Editor

uJoey King, Viewpoint Editor

uKelly Meehan, Saint Mary's Editor

uSharon Brown, Ad Sales Manager

uNina Pressly, Ad Design Manager

"Each person selected brings significant talent and experience to their respective positions," Gilloon said. "I am confident the staff assembled will build on the tradition of excellence The Observer has established."

Malone is a sophomore from Farley Hall majoring in American Studies and minoring in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. The Columbus, Ohio native started working at The Observer during the fall semester of her freshman year, and has since covered topics including the controversy surrounding the 2005 regilding of the Golden Dome and aspects of the current academic freedom and Catholic character debate.

Michaels, a junior from Badin Hall majoring in English, started working with The Observer during the fall semester of her freshman year. The Sewickley, Penn. native previously worked as an Observer associate news editor and has spent two summers as a reporting intern at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Fowler, a sophomore from Siegfried Hall, is a Political Science major and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor from Long Beach, N.Y. He has covered Notre Dame women's soccer, Notre Dame women's basketball, men's golf and Saint Mary's basketball.

Doxtader is a junior majoring in History, Film, Television and Theater and English. Originally from Hurley, N.Y., Doxtader lives in Alumni Hall and has worked in the Scene Department since the fall of his sophomore year.

Mennella, a sophomore from Keough Hall, is a Civil Engineering major who hails from Seattle, Wash. He has worked in the Photo Department since the fall of his freshman year.

King is a Mechanical Engineering and Philosophy major who has worked in the Viewpoint Department since the spring of his freshman year. King came to Notre Dame from London, England and lives in Siegfried Hall.

Meehan, a Communications major living in Le Mans Hall, is a native of Poland, Ohio. She joined The Observer during the fall of her freshman year and has since covered various Saint Mary's events including the SMC Monologues.

Brown, who lives in Welsh Family Hall, is a Marketing major and Chinese minor from Highwood, Ill. She is currently an executive in the Ad Sales Department.

Pressly, from Palm Beach, Fla., is a junior from Howard Hall. The Graphic Design major has worked as a graphic designer for Legends of Notre Dame.

Kirihara is a former Knott Hall resident who currently lives off campus. He is a fourth-year Accountancy major and Japanese minor from Bloomington, Minn.

Ebetsch, a junior Graphic Design major, has been Graphics Editor since the spring of his sophomore year. He lives in Carroll Hall and is a native of Wheaton, Ill.

The Observer is still accepting applications for the Web Administrator and Systems Manager positions. Please direct all inquiries to Gilloon at mgilloon@nd.edu