University profits vs. student losses

As an avid hockey fan, I was more than willing to arrive early at this weekend's hockey game. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by ushers who informed us that we were to sit at least three rows up from the ice, as the University was selling tickets in the student section to the general public. As disappointing as this was, we were appreciative of the pre-warning from the staff, as it allowed us to get seats where we were assured that we could enjoy the game without having to move. Shortly after we were seated, the first row, then the second and then the third row filled up. At this point, we expected that the staff would have conveyed to the box office that the section was filled and ticket sales would have ceased, but this was not the case.

Soon, students in the fourth row of the student section were asked to move. By this point, the aisles were teeming with seatless students. An usher approached our group and asked us if we had tickets, which we did, and then asked to see them. The group complied with this request and was greeted with the sarcastic response from the usher of, "Well aren't you the smartest group of students that I have ever seen. You didn't pay for this seat, and you have to move." We calmly explained that we were told that we were allowed to sit where we were by one of the other ushers. Even if we were to move, where were we to go, seeing as how the stands and aisles were packed with people? The "professionalism" of one member of the JACC staff successfully managed to ruin the first period for many of the students who had come to enjoy a night of Irish hockey. Reflecting on Friday night's events, I have to wonder, what was the University thinking?

Obviously dollar signs were more important than the students of Notre Dame in this case. In the future, I hope that the JACC staff manages events with more professionalism and courtesy to all persons involved.

Tracy WelchfreshmanLyons HallFeb. 12