Basketball: Quinn, Duffy to compete in three point contest

Notre Dame guard Chris Quinn displayed his 3-point shooting ability against Big East opponents all season, and the senior will have one last opportunity to do so in front of a national audience tonight.

The Dell presents the College Basketball Slam Dunk and Three-Point Shooting Championships will be held at 7 p.m. tonight in Butler University's Hinkle Fieldhouse. The tape-delayed event, which is a part of this weekend's NCAA Men's Final Four festivities, will air tonight at 9 p.m. on ESPN.

Quinn led the Irish with 17.7 points and 6.4 assists per game this season. The senior guard was 41.9 percent from 3-point range - third in the Big East behind Marquette forward Steve Novak (46.7 percent) and West Virginia guard Mike Gansey (42.9 percent).

Novak will be one of seven other players competing against Quinn in the shootout. West Virginia forward Kevin Pittsnogle, who shot 40.1 percent from behind the arc this season, will be a third Big East senior participating in the event.

Butler guard Bruce Horan (41.1 percent) and Illinois guard Dee Brown (32.1 percent) will also take part in the contest.

Quinn becomes the third Notre Dame men's basketball player to compete in the 3-point shooting event. Notre Dame guard Martin Inglesby (2001) and forward David Graves (2002) are the other two.

Quinn earned first team All-Big East honors following his career season. He was a CBS Sportsline.com third-team All American and an Associated Press honorable mention All-American.

The winner of the 3-point contest will compete against the winner of the women's event, which will also take place tonight at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Notre Dame guard Megan Duffy will participate on the women's side. Duffy was a 34.7 percent shooter from 3-point range this season.

This is not the first time this season the two Notre Dame guards have been paired together. Quinn and Duffy also earned ESPN The Magazine first team Academic All-American honors.

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey was unavailable for comment. The event will re-air at midnight on ESPN2 and April 1 at noon on ESPN.