College to be possessed with ‘Midnight Madness’

Colleen Kielty | Friday, March 24, 2006

One night each year, the Angela Athletic Facility becomes a madhouse. In 2006, that night is tonight.

Saint Mary’s will host its annual Midnight Madness event – themed “Oh, What a Mid-Night Madness!” – tonight with winter intramurals championship games kicking off at 8 p.m. with the main event scheduled from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.

The event, which is organized by the athletic department and a committee of students, will feature Vice President of Student Affairs Linda Timm as its host. There will also be performances by the Saint Mary’s cheerleading squad and the senior class board. Free food will be served throughout the night thanks to donations from Panera Bread, Jimmy John’s and Domino’s Pizza.

Participating students can win prizes donated from Saint Mary’s and the local community, including an Apple iPod, the number one room pick on campus, Saint Mary’s rings from Jostens and Balfour and many others. The grand prize is a one-night stay at the Millennium Knickerbocker hotel in downtown Chicago, with complimentary breakfast and a $1,000 shopping spree.

According to Athletic Director Lynn Kachmarik – who started the annual event six years ago – Midnight Madness is held to help bring members of the Saint Mary’s community together in a fun way.

“I wanted to start something here that would be all about Saint Mary’s spirit and pride … an event that would keep our women on our campus on a weekend night, not involving alcohol,” Kachmarik said.

The Midnight Madness committee is expecting about 1,000 students to attend the event open to all Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students.

“The students are ready and excited, especially the first years, talking up the event among their classmates as well as organizing and preparing decorations in their designated class color,” student committee coordinator Ashley Enright said.

Students are anticipating a night of fun with friends and classmates.

“I didn’t go last year, but I heard from a lot of people that it’s a good experience to bond with your class and have fun,” sophomore Mary Esler said.

Class bonding through competitions is an important part of the night. Students compete in class competitions and receive points for decorations, spirit and participation in games. Each class is assigned a different color for competitions. This year, freshmen are orange, sophomores are red and juniors are purple. The senior class always wears Saint Mary’s blue. The first 50 students who arrive from each class will receive a free shirt in their class color.

The plan for the night is full of fun, spirit and surprises, Kachmarik said.

“There is even going to be a great surprise that the planning committee does not know about,” she said. “Just come, have a blast and share in your love for Saint Mary’s.”