Group gives updates on recent initiatives

Amid nominations for various Council of Representatives (COR) positions, Monday's COR meeting provided brief updates of student government's Feb. 27 presentation to the South Bend Common Council and of potential Grab-and-Go selection increases.

Student body president Dave Baron briefed COR members on the Common Council members' generally positive response to the student speakers' presentations.

"It went as well as we could have realistically hoped," Baron said. "They said we have put together some good initiatives."

The Community Relations Committee, which will further discuss the issue, has not scheduled its next meeting, Baron said.

The student government delegation accomplished a significant goal at the Common Council meeting, Baron said, by having the Disorderly Housing ordinance assigned to a committee for discussions.

While Student Body Vice President Lizzi Shappell agreed the Common Council meeting went well, she emphasized work on community relations would continue into her term as Student Body President, which will begin April 1.

"It's a very small step in what we have to do," she said. "[Student government and the Common Council] have to have a continued relation[ship], and that's only just begun."

In other news, student body vice president-elect Bill Andrichik and student body president-elect Shappell reported they have met with Food Services Director Dave Prentkowski and South Dining Hall General Manager Marc Poklinkowski about examining the Grab-and-Go system.

"They didn't comment on [changing the allotment of] points, but they were very supportive of [examining] the selection," Andrichik said. "The best way to approach this is to give students choices in the items involved."

Shappell's and Andrichik's ideas for Grab-and-Go additions include take-home items such as popcorn and ramen noodles, hot items like soup and snacks like nuts and candy, Andrichik said. He asked representatives for further input.

"Ramen was the impetus for this whole thing," he said.

The meeting was closed to the public for a COR Collaboration Fund Appeal. The COR Collaboration Fund is designed for co-sponsorship of an event between a club or residence hall and a student organization.

In other COR news:

uElizabeth Brown was approved without opposition as Chief Executive Assistant for 2006-07.

uStephen Friend was approved without opposition as Student Union Treasurer for 2006-07.

uAnna Sierra was approved without opposition as Student Business Board Manager for 2006-07.

uJoyce Randall was approved without opposition as a non-voting member of COR as a representative of the Diversity Council.

uKerry Kilbourn, the newly elected Club Coordination Council President for 2006-07, was introduced to COR.