McIlduff, Siefert name Wallach chief of staff

Saint Mary's student body president Susan McIlduff and student body vice president Maggie Siefert have appointed College junior Kate Wallach to serve as the Board of Governance's (BOG) next chief of staff.

Wallach - a nursing major from Hinsdale, Ill. - is the third person to fulfill the newly created executive position. The chief of staff serves as the executive assistant to the president and vice president, meets regularly with BOG commissioners to maintain communication and helps execute goals.

McIlduff said Wallach is "extremely qualified" for the role, citing her previous contributions to student government as an example of the hard work and dedication she will bring to the position.

"She best exemplifies a Saint Mary's woman through her participation in cross-country, BOG and student role in Student Nurses' Association," McIlduff said. "She is extremely qualified in all areas - both academically and extracurricular - of Saint Mary's."

Wallach previously served as the publicity chair of the sophomore class board, and most notably as the newly created student services commissioner during her junior year. In this position she has worked to make several improvements to the campus's food services and dining options.

"I felt good placing Kate in this position because I have heard all the work she has done is above and beyond," Siefert said. "She is always trying to improve everything that needs to be improved when it comes to student services."

Wallach said she hopes to mirror the leadership of all past student leaders - not just those in the chief of staff position - to guide her in accomplishing goals.

"I think in some ways [I am] creating [my] own path, but also looking at the leadership examples of everyone else," she said.

According to McIlduff, the chief of staff will no longer have to be a part of the Student Academic Council, allowing Wallach to have more time to dedicate to being the "commissioner's cheerleader."

Wallach said she is anxiously anticipating taking over her new role, a position she had her hopes set on achieving since her sophomore year.

"I love what I do," Wallach said. "I think that so many people have ideas but most aren't willing to step up and execute them, which is something I hope to help [BOG commissioners] do."