-

-

Mendoza policy offends transfer student

Letter to the Editor | Monday, March 6, 2006

When I received my letter of acceptance into the University this past summer, I thought it meant that I was a Notre Dame student. Like all the freshman “star students” that were privileged enough to be accepted into such a prestigious school, I was issued an ID card, assigned to a dorm room and was helped when scheduling my classes. The only difference between my experience and that of Notre Dame’s other future alumni was that I was a transfer. No problem, right? I didn’t think so. I fit right into the “Notre Dame family” but, apparently, the joke was on me.

According to the recent Observer article “Mendoza rejects ‘gates,’ external transfers,” (March 3) the Mendoza School of Business does not see students from “external schools” as Notre Dame students. The article failed to mention, however, that transfer students cannot declare business as a major until completing a full year at the University. I cannot help but feel a bit offended by Dean Carolyn Woo’s claim, “We’re not obligated to take external transfers.” What I fail to understand is why it should even be seen as an obligation to admit an intelligent, hard-working transfer student into a certain major. Woo continues saying, “We should serve Notre Dame students before external students.” I am now enrolled in the University, which means that I am now a Notre Dame student. I wasn’t a Notre Dame student last year, but last year I wasn’t trying to take classes at Notre Dame. Should I have a transfer sticker on my ID card so that both faculty and students know that I am an “external student?”

I understand that Mendoza has to cut their numbers down. I do not understand why the incredibly diverse transfer class that I was fortunate enough to be a part of was offended. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy reading my Aristotle and Shakespeare as I study the liberal arts, but please at least recognize me as a Notre Dame student.

Meghan LuecksophomoreHoward HallMarch 5