Men's Lacrosse: Hubschmann no longer sidelined

Scoring three goals is just another day at the office for Notre Dame senior attack Brian Hubschmann.

Hubschmann's three goals last Saturday against Hofstra brought his season total to 13 - giving him at least five more goals than any other Irish player. The Hofstra game was the fifth contest in a row he led the Irish in scoring.

Hubschmann has shown his versatility this season and leads Notre Dame with seven assists. His 20 points are seven more than his closest teammate, senior attack Pat Walsh (13).

Hubschmann established himself on the field during his first two seasons for Notre Dame. Hubschmann took advantage of his chance to start his sophomore year after playing sparingly the previous season.

Hubschmann started 11 games in 2004, notching 18 goals and 11 assists - good for 29 points (third most on Notre Dame). These numbers came on a team that finished second in the nation in scoring offense at 12.50 goals per game and his performance was good enough to earn himself a spot on the Second Team All-Great Western Lacrosse League.

Inside Lacrosse named Hubschmann Preseason Honorable Mention All-America before his junior year. Everything seemed to be in a place for a breakout 2005 season until a cruel twist - literally.

Hubschmann tore his ACL nine days before the season opener and he quickly knew his junior year was going to be spent watching from the sidelines.

"I took a hit and my whole body collapsed over my knee," Hubschmann said. "I remember being so disappointed because I knew we had something special that year. If you had asked me before the season, I would have said we had the best attack in the country."

What began as a promising season ended up being spent in the trainer's room. Hubschmann, however, was fortunate to be able to draw on the experiences of others to help him fight through his injury.

"My older brother and sister both tore their ACL's, and they came back better than ever," Hubschmann said. "That really helped me to have a positive outlook. I wanted to do my rehab diligently because I knew that I would come back one day. It was just a matter of grinding through."

While Hubschmann underwent a lengthy rehabilitation process, Notre Dame coach Kevin Corrigan understood his attackman's frustration.

"He was really in limbo during the season because he didn't have surgery until after the season," said Corrigan. "It was a very frustrating time for him, but I think he handled it well. His spirit really improved when he was able to start rehabbing his knee after the surgery."

After his lengthy rehab process, Hubschmann was able to start working out again with his teammates before the start of the 2006 season, although his recovery was not complete. Still feeling the after effects of his injury, Hubschmann had doubts about returning to his pre-injury form.

"Once I was back running and playing, I was nervous that I wouldn't be the same player," said Hubschmann. "I've been fortunate, though, that my knee has held up."

Six games into the 2006 season, early returns show that the healing process is more than complete. And Corrigan thinks Hubschmann can get even better this season.

"Coming off an injury, you're trying to get back to where you were rather than improve," Corrigan said. "He's really starting to get his skill set back now. I expect him to improve as a player now, and he has a chance to be one of the best players in the country."