Men’s Lacrosse: Irish offense ready to mow down Big Green

Greg Arbogast | Friday, March 31, 2006

After an 11-5 victory over Brown Wednesday, Notre Dame looks to finish the week undefeated when they take on Dartmouth at Moose Krause Stadium Sunday at 12 p.m.

Notre Dame’s 11 goals against Brown marked its largest scoring output of the season, and Irish head coach Kevin Corrigan said he is looking for his offense to turn in a similar performance Sunday.

“[Against Brown], we did a better job of dodging and aggressively trying to get to the goal,” Corrigan said. “Also, when you play as many good defenses as we have, your offense starts to react to the defense rather than the defense react to the offense.”

Another positive aspect from the Brown game was the vast improvement in face-offs. Although face-off specialist Taylor Clagett was still sidelined with an injury, senior midfielder Steve Panos was effective, helping the team win 11 of 20 face-offs, a major improvement over the 6 of 22 face-offs the team won in their first game without Clagett – a loss to Hofstra.

“Steve did a terrific job last week, and we really hope that he can do it for us again this week,” Corrigan said.

After losing to the Pride, the team talked about the Brown game as a statement game. After sufficiently making their statement Wednesday, Corrigan said the Irish will look at Sunday’s game as a momentum-builder.

“We know how important it is to have momentum going into league play,” Corrigan said. “It’s not just momentum for league play, though, because every game counts for the NCAAs. The last two years we’ve been the seventeenth team in the 16-team NCAA tournament. If there’s anybody who knows that every game counts, it’s us.”

A tough Dartmouth squad stands in Notre Dame’s way this weekend. Dartmouth is currently 4-3 on the season, and it’s coming off a 12-9 win over No. 11 Albany. The game before that, the Big Green were blown out, 14-2, by No. 3 Maryland, but the Irish aren’t giving as much weight to that performance.

“I definitely think that the Albany game is more indicative of who Dartmouth is,” senior co-captain DJ Driscoll said. “They just never really got into the Maryland game. We’re going to expect the best from them.”

Notre Dame rested Thursday after its game Wednesday, and they haven’t had much time to prepare for Dartmouth.

“Coming off a short week, the game is more about your match-ups and less about adapting to the other team, so we’re going to focus more on ourselves,” Corrigan said.