SMC Tennis: Belles win conference match, fall to Aquinas

Saint Mary's split two matches this weekend, defeating conference foe Adrian but falling to Aquinas College in a back-and-forth match.

The Belles dominated Adrian from start to finish Saturday, winning all nine matches while never allowing the Saints to win more than three games in any set. In the 9-0 win, Saint Mary's won 11 of the 18 sets without allowing Adrian to win a game.

Kelly McDavitt, Mary Elizabeth Campbell and Grace Gordon all won their singles matches 6-0, 6-0.

But the Belles failed to capitalize on their momentum from the morning, as Saint Mary's lost a close match to Aquinas 5-4.

Four of the six singles matches went to three sets - and the overall outcome came down to a tiebreaker in the No. 3 doubles match.

Ultimately, Campbell and Tara O'Brien fell short in a tiebreaker, losing 9-8 (7-4) to Karri Santusky and Kelly Magee.

Saint Mary's won two of three doubles matches but captured just two of six singles points.

Picking up wins for the Belles in singles were Kristen Palombo and Campbell. The teams of Kelly McDavitt and Calie Mulcahy, and Palombo and Gordon won the doubles matches.

Saint Mary's record for the season stands at 6-4 on the season.

The win over Adrian moved Saint Mary's to 2-0 in conference play, as the Belles prepare to face the top conference foes in the coming weeks.

The stretch of tough competition begins Wednesday against conference rival Hope.

Belles coach Dee Stevenson could not be reached for comment Sunday.