Women's Lacrosse: Irish take on struggling UConn

The Irish hope to continue their winning ways as they face Connecticut today at 1 p.m. in Storrs, Conn.

After avenging their 21-12 loss to Northwestern with a dominating 18-2 win over Canisius, No. 10 Notre Dame heads into Friday's game against Connecticut with an 8-1 record.

After the win over Canisius, senior captain Crysti Foote was named to the Tewaaraton Award watch list.

Its matchup against the Huskies is Notre Dame's second Big East game this season.

The Irish currently hold a 1-0 record in the Big East with a March 17 win over Loyola-Maryland.

Against the Huskies, the Irish will face last week's Big East Player of the Week, midfielder Shannon Burke. Burke earned the award by scoring 10 goals in two games against Quinnipiac and Harvard.

Notre Dame and Connecticut have essentially switched positions in the lacrosse world this season.

The 2006 Irish have been a surprise with their nearly perfect record and convincing turnaround from last season's 3-12 mark.

Aside from Burke's success, the Huskies have had little to celebrate this season.

Riding the wave of the most successful season in Connecticut history in 2005, the Huskies have struggled to a 2-4 record thus far in 2006.

Connecticut capped its stellar 2005 season with a 12-5 record and a No. 15 ranking. The program also won its first Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Championship in school history.

Irish coach Tracy Coyne and team members were traveling and were unavailable for comment Thursday night.