Belles - lighten up

Every day I get The Observer and flip to Viewpoint to see what debate is raging. The past few days, after reading the responses to the Jockular comic, I can only say that Jockular has been taken far too seriously. As many comics today, Erik Powers and Alec White are satirists, so obviously they use Jockular to poke fun at everyday events.

We've all seen The Simpsons, Family Guy or South Park. During every episode, they target a different aspect of daily life to laugh at, sometimes even things dear to us. But do we take offense? No. Those of us who can recognize and appreciate satire just laugh and turn up the volume. That's exactly what I'm calling all Belles to do: laugh and turn up the volume. Don't take it personally that Saint Mary's is this week's target of satire, because that's all it is - a little sarcastic fun.

In no way do I feel that I am betraying my fellow Belles through this opinion. I love Saint Mary's; hence the reason I am here and not at Notre Dame. I am proud of this school and the women in it. But I feel that we should not take things so much to heart. Ethel Barrymore said, "You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself." So lower your shields, put down your weapons, pick up today's Jockular - and have a good laugh.

Maggie YancyAndrea BeresfreshmenSaint Mary's CollegeApril 12