Bookstore Basketball: Close games highlight second round action

Mendoza Line picked up a 21-8 victory over Team 308 Tuesday night at the McGlinn courts. After the game, the self-proclaimed "George Mason of the Bookstore tournament" boasted it will continue to advance regardless of its opponents.

"We don't even need to know their names," Mendoza player Mike Girts said of future challengers. "Right now, we're just five guys with a dream."

The relatively easy second round game also allowed the team to truly enjoy its accomplishment.

"We're definitely very happy to advance to the round of 256," said Mendoza's Rob Michalak, unanimously chosen as the game's MVP by his teammates.

But the team also realized that with its feat comes recognition. Members said they noticed two members of other teams from their bracket at the game.

"We know that [rival teams] have been scouting us," Girts said.

Four Girls Who Have Never Touched a Basketball and One Guy Who Probably Shouldn't def. Team 50, forfeit

Four Girls Who Have Never Touched a Basketball and One Guy Who Probably Shouldn't and Team 50 battled Tuesday in a hotly-contested game, with Team 50 seemingly coming away with a 21-17 win.

But Four Girls was awarded the victory by forfeit after Bookstore officials discovered that a Team 50 member has competed for multiple teams in the tournament, 40 minutes into the game

Even though the final score had Team 50 on top, the team was punished with a loss and an early Bookstore exit.

Four Girls had no pity on them.

"That was absolutely foolish," Four Girls guard Matt Bara said of the illegal roster move.

Four Girls guard "Birthday Boy" Jimmy Wilson added that he was not impressed with Team 50's style of play.

"They played like a bunch of nancies," he said.

Spectators were confused that Four Girls was an all-male squad.

The 1997 All-European Team 21, The Tournament Is Named After Us, So We Have To Have A Team 15

The 1997 All-European Team beat The Tournament is Named After Us, So We Have to Have A Team 21-15 in an hour-long game played in dreary conditions.

Both teams watched numerous shots sail off-target in the breeze. Unable to hit jump shots with any regularity, the squads adjusted their game plans and utilized their post players - which gave a significant advantage to the taller Europeans.

The Bookstore team also suffered an injury to one of their players midway through the second half.

"They played a lot more physical than we did, they controlled the boards," the Bookstore team said in a joint statement after the game. "They played at a tempo that they were comfortable with."

The European team said they planned to stay true to their roots and party like they do at home.

"This was a good win," they said. "We're going to go out for some gyros, maybe some crepes, to celebrate in real European style."

Justice League of Notre Dame 24, We Were Picked Last in Grade School 22

In a marathon contest that lasted over an hour and half and ended in overtime, the Justice League of Notre Dame defeated We Were Picked Last in Grade School 24-22.

Picked Last jumped out to an early 6-1 lead, using good defense and a strong performance by the team's designated sharpshooter - "The Reverend" Kevin Stanley. Justice League closed the gap, but Picked Last 11-8 at halftime.

"Our 2-3 zone was giving them fits for a while," Picked Last guard Eric Gast said at the half.

Justice League went on a 3-0 run after the half and evened the score at 11-11.

The score stayed close throughout a physical second half, which saw plenty of rebounds and steals by both teams. But tough post defense on both sides prevented both teams from capitalizing on their scoring opportunities.

After running the score to 23-22, Justice League was in control of the game despite missing a potential game-winning lay-up that prolonged the action for a few more possessions. But their height advantage eventually proved too much for Picked Last to overcome.

"It was a tough second half," Gast said after the game. "They made some defensive switches that we had trouble adjusting to, and fatigue set in on both sides at the end. It was one of the best games I've ever seen."

Justice League's players agreed.

"Both teams played their hearts out the whole game. The lead switched so many times, it was never a sure thing," Justice League forward Dan Leszkowicz said. "We thought we were going to be out here all week."