Defense dominates as Belles shutout Adrian in two games

Cold weather couldn't stop Bridget Grall from dominating on the mound Saturday.

Grall threw her first no-hitter of her four-year career in the first game of Saturday's doubleheader against Adrian College. Saint Mary's shut down Adrian, winning both games 5-0 and 7-0, respectively.

Grall struck out six and collected her fifth win for the season. Sarah Miesle also strengthened the defense as she shutdown the Bulldogs' offense from shortstop throughout the first game.

Both Miesle and Grall's energy from the first game carried into the second contest.

"[Grall's no-hitter] really motivated our team to come out ready for the second game," Belles coach Erin Sullivan said.

Sullivan said the Belles were able to remain focused and not get ahead of themselves.

"We kept our focus and intensity, but realized this was a new game, and we needed to play as hard as we did in the first game," she said.

The Belles did not settle into their comfort zone as they took on Adrian for the second time. Miesle, a defensive force in the first game, showed she could bring power from the plate as well. Homering in the top of the second, Miesle started the scoring and gave the Belles an early 1-0 lead.

Grall answered Miesle's homerun in the top of the third as she drove a double, eventually scoring to give the Belles a 2-0 advantage.

The score remained at 2-0 during the rest of the game as the Bulldogs were unable to score. Kristin Amram dominated from the mound, striking out 12.

Amram also broke open the game in the top of the seventh from the plate. After she doubled - driving in three runs - Martha Smid followed with a single to drive in two runs off an error.