Freshman hospitalized overnight

Kelly Meehan | Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Campus authorities and local medical personnel responded to a medical emergency involving a Saint Mary’s first year student at approximately 10 p.m. Monday at McCandless Hall, College officials said Tuesday.

A McCandless Hall resident assistant notified hall director Shay Jolly and Saint Mary’s Security of the emergency just before 10 p.m., Director of Residence Life Michelle Russell said.

Neither Russell nor College spokeswoman Melanie McDonald would comment on the details of the emergency.

College Security was the first to arrive, McDonald said. At 9:54 p.m. Saint Mary’s Security placed a call to 911 at Jolly’s request.

Jolly was unavailable for comment Tuesday. Saint Mary’s Security declined to comment Tuesday.

Notre Dame Security/Police, St. Joseph County Police and a South Bend ambulance immediately responded to the call, McDonald said. The ambulance was at the scene for 15 minutes, McDonald said, before taking the student to St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center.

Russell said Tuesday the student “is in fine condition.”

“She has been released from the hospital,” Russell said. “At this point I am not sure when she is returning [to Saint Mary’s] … it is up to her.”

Hospital officials confirmed the student was released Tuesday. They would not comment on her condition at the time of admittance or release.

McDonald said the girl’s family was notified of the medical emergency.