Group grants co-sponsorships

Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) officers approved two co-sponsorships totaling $6,045 at their meeting Monday night. One will help fund a scholarship for a group of students to travel to a national psychology honors society convention, and the other will go to support The Show 2006.

The first co-sponsorship will help fund a trip for 11 members of the Saint Mary's Psi Chi Club to the Psi Chi Midwestern Regional Convention in Chicago, Ill. Psi Chi is a national honor society in psychology.

Saint Mary's students have attended the conference for several years, Psi Chi representative Jennifer Hanlon said.

"Five Saint Mary's psychology [major] seniors will present research they have conducted throughout their undergraduate work [at the conference]," Hanlon said.

Athletic commissioner Anne Cusak motioned to pass the co-sponsorship for $1,045, which promptly passed.

The second co-sponsorship will help fund The Show 2006 - the largest annual concert event intended for all members of the Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross communities, according to the co-sponsorship application.

Notre Dame junior Patrick Vassel presented the $10,000 co-sponsorship proposal to BOG. The estimated total cost of The Show for 2006 is $128,000.

"It's important to us that [The Show] be as much a Saint Mary's event as a Notre Dame event because it shows new and returning members of this community what it means to be a part of each student body and the community as a whole," Vassel said. "From start to finish we really do everything possible to make sure that this is as much a Saint Mary's event."

Following Vassel's proposal, board members discussed BOG's past financial involvement with The Show.

The board discussed placing stipulations on BOG funding of the event such as advertisement of Saint Mary's orientation weekend events like the Jamaica Shaka.

"That's one of the reasons that the Jamaica Shaka was so big last year because it was on all their flyers," student body vice president Maggie Siefert said.

Former BOG treasurer Jillian Waters sat in on the meeting to help guide the new board members through their first co-sponsorships.

"I think $10,000 is a lot," she said. "I think it's a great event and I think it should be one of the largest if not the largest co-sponsorships that BOG supports."

Admissions commissioner Annie Davis motioned to provide $5,000 with the stipulations that by the end of the school year The Show's committee find a Saint Mary's liaison as well as advertising the Jamaica Shaka on fliers. The board voted to provide the money with the stipulations after a small amount of discussion.

In Other BOG News:

uStudent Activities Board president Claudia Toth announced there will be an 80s-themed dance this Saturday on the Library green.

uStudent body president Susan McIlduff reminded the board of a Chicago bus trip and Student Activities Board bus trip Saturday to the Dunes in Michigan. A sign-up sheet for both trips is at the front desk of the student center.