Members focus on fall projects

With the semester winding down, Wednesday's meeting of the Student Senate was a brief affair, as most committees are focused on brainstorming projects for the fall.

With no new or old business on the floor, the most exciting moment of the evening came when it was brought to the attention of chair of the oversight committee Chris Hollon -who was running the meeting in place of the absent president Lizzi Shappell and vice president Bill Andrichik - that the Student Union Constitution stated that in the event the president and vice president were both absent, the meeting chair was to be elected by the group. Hollon had been "entrusted to run the meeting by [Shappell]," he said, but offered the other senators a chance to nominate someone else.

Amidst laughter, Hollon himself was nominated and elected.

Shappell showed up after her Bookstore Basketball game in time to adjourn the meeting.

At the start of the meeting, president of The Shirt committee Richard Fox and Allison Baranay, also of The Shirt committee, spoke to senators about The Shirt project and the unveiling scheduled for Friday.

Fox also explained where the profits of The Shirt sales go - something he said many students don't know.

"A lot of people don't realize that there is a part of The Shirt beyond what you see at football games," Fox said. "It unifies the student body, and that's great, but it is also a student-run organization that helps fund a lot of student activities."

Fifty percent of the The Shirt profits go to The Shirt Charity Fund, which helps offset medical costs for students in need. Within the Charity Fund itself, a portion of the money goes to The Rector Fund, which helps pay for more day-to-day expenses, like football tickets or class rings for those who can't afford them, Fox said.

The other half of the profits supplements the student activities fee budget - comprising 20 percent of that budget, Fox said.

"I just wanted to make you aware of how much The Shirt actually benefits students," he said.

Baranay said the official unveiling of the 2006 The Shirt will take place at noon on Friday at the Bookstore.