SMC Golf: Belles look for strong finish before NCAAs

Although the SMC/Bethel Invitational took place Wednesday, the Franklin Grizzly Invitational this weekend will be the first match in over a week for a majority of the traveling members of the varsity squad.

Most of the normal travelers on the squad did not compete in the tournament Wednesday co-hosted with Bethel College. Instead, the junior varsity tried its luck at the difficult Blackthorn Golf Club in nearby South Bend.

The most recent performance for the traveling squad was the IWU Spring Fling in which the Belles placed third of 18 teams.

Saint Mary's senior Megan Mattia led the way for the Belles by finishing seventh with a 162.

Belles freshman Alex Sei had her best round under head coach Mark Hamilton, shooting a 77 during the second round to card a two-day 166 (tied for 13th).

The Franklin Grizzly Invitational will be the last regular season match for the four seniors on the team - Mattia, Kirsten Fantom, Nicole Bellino and Erin McQueen. All four have been members of the team since their freshman years.

Some junior varsity players will also be traveling this weekend.

Senior captain Kirsten Fanton emphasized that the girls have been working hard in their lay-off week for their final meet before the post-season, especially concentrating on greenside play.

"We're continuing to work on our short-game in preparation for the weekend," she said. The Belles continue to anticipate the NCAA Tournament at the end of the spring.