SMC Softball: Belles postpone final non-conference game

Saint Mary's postponed its final non-conference game Tuesday due to inclement weather and rescheduled the contest against Goshen for today at 3:30 p.m.

Belles head coach Erin Sullivan said that the change will not adversely affect the team's play. In fact, she thinks that it may even help the Belles.

Sullivan said Saint Mary's will use the extra time to focus on improving its play from behind the plate.

"We are going to work on getting more consistency driving through the ball," Sullivan said. "Get more power."

Today's contest against the Maple Leafs is the last home game for the Belles. Saint Mary's will honor its senior class as it plays its second-to-last regular season matchup.

Eleven underclassmen will recognize pitcher and outfielder Bridget Grall, outfielder Audrey Gajor and second-baseman Meghan Marenkovic.

"Everybody is excited to have a good day and get two wins for the girls," Sullivan said.

Goshen brings a 21-game losing streak into the contest. The Maple Leafs last played Kalamazoo Saturday in a doubleheader and lost both games, 6-5 and 2-1. The team has struggled offensively, posting only three hits in 9-0 and 3-0 losses to the University of St. Francis April 15.

Goshen will rely on sophomore pitcher Erin Layman. Layman recorded a single against St. Francis and went 1-for-3 from the plate.

Sullivan said that Belles will look to add two more wins to the season, but are looking to try people in different positions. The team might move freshman Calli Davison to the mound in order to prepare for the loss of Grall next season.

Even with movement around the field, Saint Mary's hopes to shut down Goshen's offense.

The Belles head into their match against Goshen with the MIAA tournament only nine days away. Sullivan said the team wants to finish the season off strong and look toward the league tournament.