SMC Softball: Belles split doubleheader with Hope

The Belles redeemed themselves in the second game of their doubleheader against No. 24 Hope after losing the first game 5-2 Wednesday in Holland, Mich .

Saint Mary's came back in the second game to win 1-0, capturing its third Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) win. The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the third inning when Sarah Meisle singled to drive in the only run of the game.

Kristin Amram secured the Belles lead on the mound, striking out 11.

Saint Mary's coach Erin Sullivan said that after losing the first game, the Belles wanted to turn things around.

"We realized that we had the opportunity to win," Sullivan said. "We kept our intensity up."

The Belles (14-6, 3-1 in the MIAA) took the lead in the first game in the top of the third when Bridget Grall scored off an error. The Flying Dutch answered back in the bottom of the third with three runs and never looked back. Jessica Regnerus singled to drive in a run and both Laura Tanouye and Emily Adams tallied sacrifice flies.

Sullivan was pleased with her team's performance in the split.

"Even against a really great team, we are just as good," Sullivan said.

The Belles hope they can continue their success when they face defending MIAA champion Alma Saturday. Alma enters the game coming off a split against Defiance. Alma won the first game 4-0 but lost the second 6-5.

"Alma has always had strong hitters and a very deep line up," Grall said.

Grall also said that the Belles will look to get ahead early and hold on against Alma.

They expect sluggers like Meisle to step up at the plate.

Grall said that everyone will come into Saturday's game with high intensity.

"Our players are going to be playing with everything they have," Grall said.

Alma and the Belles face off at Saint Mary's Saturday at 1 p.m.