SMC Softball: Belles sweep Goshen

Saint Mary's freshman Kristen Amram broke her own school strikeout record Wednesday when struck out 16 in the Belles 6-1 win over Goshen - in game two of a double header at Saint Mary's Field.

The Belles also garnered a 10-1 win in the five-inning opener.

Amram started the second game for Saint Mary's, striking out three of the first four batters she faced and allowing just two hits.

Freshman designated hitter Martha Smid lead the Belles offensively in game two. Smid went 3-for-3 at the plate, driving in two runs and scoring twice. Senior outfielder Audrey Gajor also went 3-for-3 and drove in the game's first run on a double that scored Smid in the first.

Already leading 1-0, Saint Mary's bats came alive in the bottom of the second. Senior outfielder Bridget Grall began the scoring with an RBI double. Smid followed up with another double that drove in two more runs. Gajor then grabbed her second RBI of the game with a single, giving the Belles the 5-0 lead.

The score remained 5-0 until the bottom of the sixth when Grall singled again driving in another run.

Goshen's only glimmer of hope came in the top of the seventh when leftfielder Faith Borrell scored off an error bringing the score to a final 6-1.

Saint Mary's 10, Goshen 1

The Belles offense was stellar in the first game as well, putting 10 runs on the board in an easy victory.

Gajor and Smid again led Saint Mary's offense. Gajor went 2-for-3, driving in two RBI's, while Smid went 3-for-4 and drove in two runs.

Gajor opened up the scoring in the bottom of the first with an RBI ground out to give the Belles a 1-0 lead. Saint Mary's then capitalized on Goshen fielding errors in the bottom of the third when both Gajor and Smid scored to put the Belles up 3-0.

Goshen fought back in the top of the fifth when third baseman Erin Layman drove in an RBI to bring the score to 3-1.

St. Mary's put Goshen away in the bottom of the fifth, scoring seven runs and ending the game prematurely due to the mercy rule.

Gajor and senior Meghan Marenkovic each knocked in a run during the rally.

Notes:

u The sweep over Goshen was the last home game for seniors Gajor, Grall and Marenkovic.

"The last game on your home field you definitely want to go out with a bang," Grall said. "It felt great to sweep."

u The two wins over Goshen lifted the Belles record to 25-11 giving them their highest number of wins since 1984. Goshen continued their losing streak, which was extended to 23 games.

u The Belles will be in action again when they face Kalamazoo College on the road Saturday at noon.