SMC Softball: Two for Tuesday matchup

Deirdre Krasula | Tuesday, April 4, 2006

The Belles take on Robert Morris today in a rescheduled doubleheader at 4:30 p.m. The game was cancelled last Tuesday, March 28, because of poor field conditions. Saint Mary’s is coming off a strong showing Saturday when they swept Adrian 5-0 and 7-0.

Robert Morris traveled to Lebanon, Ill. this weekend for the two-day McKendree College Tournament.

The Lady Eagles lost both of their games Saturday falling 3-1 to Williams Baptist College and 8-3 to the University of Illinois, Springfield. Their two games on Sunday were cancelled because of rain.

Robert Morris (11-9) is ranked second in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) with a 4-0 conference record.

The Belles step on the field today with a 12-4 record overall and the confidence from two solid wins on Saturday. Senior Bridget Grall threw her first career no-hitter and dominated from behind the plate as well.

“Her pitching was outstanding as she threw a no-hitter the first game,” senior Audrey Gajor said. “But she also really came through at the plate as well in both games.”

The Belles will once again look to the guidance from Grall as well as freshman pitcher Kristin Amram. Amram struck out twelve at the plate, nearing her record thirteen.

Head coach Erin Sullivan said that her team came into the game against Adrian prepared both physically and mentally.

“The team came out ready to play,” Sullivan said. “Even in tough conditions, and [they] never backed down offensively.”

The Belles will try to come out prepared in the same way today turning to strong defense from pitchers Grall and Amram. The two will look to shut down the Lady Eagles as they did of Adrian on Saturday.

Gajor said that the team was on target both defensively and offensively Saturday. They will look to bring this combination again as they search for their 13th and 14th wins.