SMC Tostal to feature popular band

Katie Kohler | Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Students will not have to travel to Orange County, Calif. to experience warm weather, good times and “the real O.C.” on Thursday evening when all three will invade Saint Mary’s campus.

SMC Tostal – the College’s largest social event of the year – will play host to henna tattoo and caricature artists, an indoor picnic and an evening concert featuring Phantom Planet, the band most commonly known for singing “The O.C.” theme song.

Students from Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame, Holy Cross, IUSB and Bethel are invited to attend. The event is hosted by the Student Activities Board (SAB).

Sophomores Cassie Callon and Noelle Whiteside, co-chairs for the event, decided to deviate from the typical events of the festival – such as fire works and canoe races – and refocus the event around a major concert series.

“We decided to do a concert series in the evening with small activities during the day,” Callon said.

This year’s concert features the band Phantom Planet along with west coast rock band Delaney and Saint Mary’s Battle of the Bands winner Slap Bracelet Suicide.

Callon said SAB began to plan the event last October.

“We wanted to bring someone rather well known to campus that obviously fit into our budget,” Callon said. “We chose Phantom Planet for their smooth California sound and the extreme popularity for the show ‘The O.C.'”

Student Activities Board President junior Megan Cahill said the date and venue of the event had to be changed in order to bring a big name like Phantom Planet to Saint Mary’s.

“SMC Tostal traditionally occurs in late April and includes a picnic dinner and games on the library green.” Callon said, “Because of scheduling conflicts, the event date had to be moved up, moving most of the activities indoors to avoid weather issues.”

The events of SMC Tostal, however, are not entirely centered on the concert series. Tostal festivities, such as chair massages and henna art, will take place in the student center starting at noon, with an indoor dinner picnic in the dining hall that evening.

Callon and Cahill said they feel a “positive buzz” around campus.

“The students seem very excited,” Callon said. “We’ve been receiving e-mails from students since it was announced that Phantom Planet was coming, which makes us excited as well.”

Saint Mary’s freshman Nikki Badalamenti said she was excited Saint Mary’s got such a big name to perform.

“I was really happy when I heard that Phantom Planet was coming,” she said. “I definitely plan on going.”

O’Lauhglin Auditorium doors will open at 5:30 p.m. with the opening act, Slap Bracelet Suicide, scheduled to go on at 6:30 p.m. Delaney will perform at 7:20 p.m. and Phantom Planet will take the stage at 8:30 p.m.

Tickets are on sale now for $5 with a student ID at the O’Laughlin Auditorium Box office and LaFortune Student Center.