Track and Field: American records fall at Mt. SAC

Notre Dame's Easter break was anything but restful, as the Irish sent athletes to two meets, resulting in their 17th Mideast regional qualification and the setting of both national and school records.

At the Mt. San Antonio College Relays in Walnut, Calif., senior All-American Molly Huddle finished third in the 5,000 meter run with a time of 15:40.41, posting the top time in the country this year and fourth best in school history.

Senior All-American Stephanie Madia placed sixth in the race - good enough for the third-best American time this year. Huddle and Madia raced against collegiate and professional sprinters from all parts of the globe in the event. China's Yuan Jin claimed first with a time only two seconds faster than Huddle, while Mexico's Dulce Rodriguez crossed the finish line in second, beating Huddle by a half-second.

At the Pomona-Pitzer Invitational in Claremont, Calif., junior sprinter Okechi Ogbuokiri qualified for the Mideast Regional meet by winning the 400-meter dash in 54.47 seconds. Ogboukiri, junior Maryann Erigha, sophomore Dominique Manning and sophomore Brienne Davis took first in the 4 x 100 meter relay.

Senior Laura Huarte and freshman Mary Saxer broke school records at Mt. San Antonio. Huarte broke her own record in the javelin with a second place finish of 154 feet, 2 inches, besting her former high mark by seven feet. Saxer tied Jaime Volkmer's school record in the pole vault with a leap of 12 feet, 9.5 inches, good enough to win the Olymipic development division.

Senior sprinter Ryan Postel competed in both meets, winning the 400-meter dash in 47.34 seconds at Pomona, while claiming third in the same event with a time of 47.27 seconds at Mt. San Antonio.

Senior Mideast qualifier Stacey Cowan tied for first at Pomona, in a rain-abbreviated high jump, clearing 5 feet, 5 inches.