Track and Field: Irish athletes head to two competitions

With several important competitions looming in the next few weeks, Notre Dame will send portions of its team to compete in both the Hillsdale "Gina" Relays and the Drake Relays Friday and Saturday.

A week before the Big East Championships, several Irish athletes are looking to post qualifying marks for the conference meet.

"This weekend, we want a few more athletes to qualify [for the Big East]," sprinters coach John Millar said. "Those who have qualified already might just need to get a lighter workout in."

The "Gina" Relays, hosted by Hillsdale College in Michigan, will feature approximately 30 Notre Dame athletes.

"We should be able to get some good preparation in for next weekend," Millar said of the event.

The Irish will also send runners to the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa. Hosted by Drake University, Millar called the event "one of the biggest meets in the country."

"The only reason we don't send more athletes [to the Drake Relays] is because we have the Big East next weekend," Millar said.

The Irish will be well represented in Iowa. The men's 4x1600, 4x800 and 4x400 relay teams will compete, along with throwers Garet Koxlien and Kyle Annen.

After adding four NCAA qualifying marks to their record last weekend at the Central Collegiate Championship and Oregon Invitational, the Irish are also looking forward to the NCAA Regionals, to be held May 26-27 in Knoxville, Tenn.