Track and Field: Twelve Irish runners head to Oxford

A dozen members of the Irish track team will trek to the Miami Invitational in Oxford, Ohio this weekend in the hopes of qualifying for, or improving their seeds, in the May 5-7 Big East Championship meet.

"This meet is not a major meet by any means," senior sprinter Ryan Postel said. "But it represents a chance to hit Big East qualifiers for those who haven't done so."

Among those competing is freshman Alyissa Hasan. Already a Big East qualifier in the long jump, she will be competing in that event, plus the shot-put and 100-meter hurdles.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to set some good marks," Hasan said. "I'm hoping for a Big East qualifying time in the 100-meter hurdles."

Other Big East hopefuls include Antonia Bethel in the 400-meter hurdles on the women's side and Charlie Hilding, whose best time in the men's 200-meter event is only one-hundredth of a second behind the qualifying mark.

Sophomore Bob Kueney has already qualified for the Big East meet. He will compete in the 400 meters in Oxford.

"I'm just trying to get a good seed going into the Big East championships," Kueny said.

So far this season, Irish have 29 Big-East qualifying scores and five Mideast Regional qualifying marks.

On the schedule next week is the four-day Mt. SAC relays starting Wednesday in Walnut, Calif. It is one of the biggest meets in the country, with dozens of high school and universities around the countries sending their top competitors.

As of now, Irish coach Joe Piane said he has not decided who will represent the Irish. Possibilities include Postel for his individual events and the Irish 4 x 400-meter relay team comprised of Postel, Kueney, Jordan Powell and Austin Wechter.