Football Recruiting: Kamara becomes fifth member of 2007 recruiting class

Bobby Griffin and Chris Khorey | Friday, May 19, 2006

After the Tampa Bay Buccaneers drafted wide receiver Maurice Stovall in the third round of the 2006 NFL Draft, Irish head coach Charlie Weis needed an eventual replacement – and he might have found his man.

Duval Kamara, a 6-foot-3, pound wide receiver according to Scout.com, from Hoboken, N.J., announced May 11 on ESPN News that he intends to formally join Notre Dame on national signing day Feb. 7, 2007.

“He’s a tall guy who can get up and make some of the miraculous, circus-type catches that Stovall made so many of last year,” Mike Frank of Irisheyes.com said.

Frank also praised Kamara’s quickness, which he said is better than Stovall’s, and his ability to block downfield. Kamara’s high school (Hoboken High School) is a primarily run-dominated offense and Frank said the 6-foot-3 receiver displays an aggressive defensive mentality when it comes to blocking in run formations.

Kamara had 43 catches for 930 yards and 12 touchdowns last year as a junior for Hoboken High School. Frank said that while the wide out may compete for playing time his freshman year in 2007, he will have a lot of competition from his classmates and the wide receivers that will already be on campus.

Weis has also extended class of 2010 scholarship offers to wide receivers Arrelious Benn (Washington D.C., Dunbar High School) Greg Little (Durham, N.C., Hillside High School) and Deonte Thompson (Belle Glade, Fla., Glades Central High School). None of these three have given verbal commitments to Notre Dame.

“When it’s all said and done, you’re going to see three outstanding receiver prospects in this class,” Frank said. “In any other class, Duval might come in and play right away, but in this class you’re going to have a lot of competition from the other members of his class plus the guys who came in last year.”

Kamara becomes the latest verbal commitment in a class that already tight end Mike Ragone (6-foot-5, 230 pounds, Cherry Hill, N.J.), linebackers Aaron Nagel (6-foot-1, 215 pounds, Lamont, Ill.) and Kerry Neal (6-foot-3, 220 pounds, Bunn, N.C.) and quarterback Jimmy Clausen (6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Westlake Village, Calif.).

Many experts consider Clausen one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation. Frank said Kamara took Clausen’s verbal commitment into account, but it was not his deciding factor in choosing Notre Dame.

“He said the Jimmy Clausen commitment was something he considered, but he said that with or without Jimmy, Notre Dame was the right place for him,” Frank said.

Frank said Weis would probably continue his recruiting momentum with another commitment in the coming weeks. Justin Trattou, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end out of Ramsey, N.J., is scheduled to announce his college choice June 1.

“I would be very surprised if he did not choose Notre Dame,” Frank said of Trattou.

This year’s recruiting class follows on the heels of the 2006 signing class, which was rated No. 5 in the country by scout.com. Weis signed 28 players after his first year at the helm.

“The talent level and skill level that Charlie Weis has brought in with these last two classes is definitely an upgrade from some of the guys that were being brought in before,” Frank said.

Three members of the 2006 class – wide receiver George West, running back James Aldridge and offensive lineman Chris Stewart – enrolled at Notre Dame in January and went through spring practice with the team. Several others, including offensive lineman Sam Young, linebacker Toryan Smith and tight end Konrad Reuland, are expected to compete for playing time next fall.