Our own heroes

I went to "United 93" on Friday night and I was pleased with three things. First, it was tastefully done in the format of a documentary rather than a Hollywood thriller. Second, 10 percent of the profits from opening weekend go to the memorial fund. Finally, the vast majority of the people in the theatre fit the age range of our generation.

This is a generation in need of heroes. This movie allows our generation to come together with the spirit and resolve that we showed in the days after Sept. 11, 2001. The experience of those passengers gives our generation a sense of purpose. Flight 93 shows us that we have to take the fight to the enemies of freedom, or we will lose that freedom. The terrorists would have taken out a great symbol of our democracy that day in Washington if it wasn't for the courage of ordinary Americans on the flight. Just think what these terrorists could do with nuclear weapons instead of commercial airplanes.

Flight 93 is also special to me because I was serving as a Senate page in the U.S. Capitol that day. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of the heroes on Flight 93 and thank them for my life and the lives of my dear friends who worked with me. We went back to work in the Capitol on Sept. 12 and sent the message to the terrorists as 17-year-olds that we would not be afraid.

This movie is not meant to be popcorn-munching entertainment. We are still at war, yet some in our nation seem to be losing resolve. "United 93" is a timely reminder that we are still fighting the same war on terror that these heroes died fighting.

The two previous generations achieved monumental tasks through much sacrifice to preserve our freedoms. This is our task. This is our responsibility. We will move forward in the true spirit of the words of Flight 93 passenger Todd Beamer and win the War on Terror. "Let's roll!"

Joe KippleyjuniorSiegfried HallApril 30