SMC Golf: Mattia ready for action at NCAAs

Saint Mary's senior Megan Mattia, the MIAA's most valuable player last fall, will represent the Belles at the NCAA Division III championship at El Campeon Golf Course at the Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort May 9-11.

While proud of her individual accomplishment, the graduating senior was disappointed that she would be playing in her last college tournament without her teammates.

"It's very bittersweet because I am excited to be going to the NCAAs, but at the same time I wish the whole team was going," Mattia said.

Although she garnered numerous individual accomplishments throughout the season -including the league MVP - Mattia has remained humble.

"I couldn't have done it without my teammates' and coach's support," she said.

This spring Mattia won individual medalist honors at the Capital University Purple and White Invitational with a two-round total of 165 and tied for seventh with a 162 at the IWU Spring Fling. She also posted the Belles' top score of 160 as Saint Mary's won the Grizzly Invitational April 24.

Mattia also tied for 20th with a three-round score of 243 at the Shamrock Invitational and earned 30th place at the Northern Kentucky Invitational.

As her career winds down, Mattia hopes to finish on a positive note.

"I would love to place in the top 10," she said. "But really I am just going to go out and try to play the best I can in my last college tournament."

Regardless of how she performs in the NCAAs, Mattia's contributions to Saint Mary's will not be quickly forgotten. The history/psychology double major from LaGrange, Ill. was recently named the recipient of the Marvin Wood Outstanding Senior Athlete Award at the Saint Mary's athletic banquet.

She also has been one of the most consistently honored golfers in the program, winning MIAA first team honors in 2002, 2003 and 2005 and MIAA second team honors in 2004, all in addition to her MIAA MVP this past fall.

Entering her final event, Mattia looks forward to the opportunity of representing the college that has become her home.

"It's been an amazing four years, and I am going to miss everyone," Mattia said.