Women's Lacrosse: Irish squeak past Orange in thriller

As time expired at Moose Krause Stadium Saturday, junior Notre Dame attack Meghan Murphy received a pass from sophomore Heather Ferguson off of a free possession and shot a frozen rope into the upper left corner of the goal to push the No. 7 Irish past No. 13 Syracuse in an 11-10 win.

Notre Dame (11-3, 3-1 Big East) lost the ball by the Syracuse (9-5, 2-2) goal with 30 seconds remaining, but then stole it back 15 seconds later. A foul with 2.3 seconds to play set up Ferguson's free possession, and her quick pass gave Murphy the chance to win the game.

"It was really lucky that I made the goal, because Syracuse has a really good goalie," Murphy said. "I wasn't thinking much when I shot it, but the shot worked itself out and went in."

Ferguson had been dangerous all game on free possession chances, scoring on her three previous attempts. Murphy also stepped up off the bench for Notre Dame, scoring the go-ahead goal and playing the role of hero for the afternoon.

"I said to them in the pre-game that you never know when your time will come," Coyne said. "Meghan and Heather proved that it was their time."

The scored the first four goals within the opening eight minutes, including free position goals by Ferguson and sophomore Caitlin McKinney. But by halftime the Orange had cut the lead to 6-5 and played Notre Dame tough the rest of the way.

Syracuse managed to tie the game three times and twice took the lead in the second half, but the Irish hung tough and pulled out the win.

"[We] seemed to be doubting themselves in the second half," Coyne said. "But we dug in and found a way to win."

Senior Crysti Foote, the all-time Notre Dame scoring leader and finalist for the Tewaarton trophy, again showcased her talents, as she helped keep the Irish close by adding five goals to the Notre Dame effort.

Foote also added yet another Irish record to her credit as her three draw controls in the game - giving her 41 on the season - moved her past Alissa Moser for the highest single-season mark in Irish history.

Foote recognized that her individual accomplishments were only a portion of a larger team effort.

"Being the captain, I know I have to do what it takes to help the team win," Foote said. "But this is a team sport, and everyone has to contribute or else we won't succeed."

Notre Dame finishes off its season at Moose Krause field May 7 against Vanderbilt.