Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Getting Out From Under the Dome

RESTAURANTS:

Bistro on the Race 501 N. Niles Ave.It's on the pricey side, but Bistro on the Race is one of the very best restaurants in South Bend. The traditional fare includes an assortment of steak, fish and chicken dishes. Not exactly for everyday or casual dining, but a good place to take visiting parents on football weekends.

Casa Del Rio 1705 South Bend Ave.For those looking for more authentic Mexican than Taco Bell, Casa Del Rio delivers on its promise of "a real taste of Mexico." Standard fare includes enchiladas, fajitas and tacos, but the best deal is probably on Tuesdays, when tacos cost a mere dollar.

Colonial Pancake House 508 N. Dixie WayAn affordable and delicious alternative to breakfast places like IHOP, the Pancake House is a great way to start the day. The portions are generous, but be warned - the restaurant keeps "breakfast" hours and often closes by one in the afternoon.

Fiddler's Hearth 127 N. Main St.Perhaps the most Irish restaurant in South Bend, Fiddler's Hearth doubles as a Celtic restaurant and a pub. Often featuring live music (including bagpipes on Friday evenings), Fiddler's Hearth has an inviting, rustic feel that appeals to both students and families.

Hana Yori 3601 Grape Rd.While this traditional Japanese steakhouse is pricey, you're also paying for the show. Chefs prepare food right at the table, with a menu that includes steak, chicken and shrimp. Patrons interact with the chefs at large tables that contain a stove in the middle and watch as they create volcanoes out of onions and flip shrimp tails into their aprons.

Lula's 1631 Edison Rd.Lula's is a hip, relaxing coffee shop located right off campus that also serves a variety of sandwiches. A popular place to meet, study or just hang out, Lula's offers indoor and outdoor seating for cool fall days.

Macri's 214 N. Niles Ave.A laid-back Italian-American restaurant featuring mostly pasta and sandwiches, Macri's is a good place to relax and hang out. The average entrée costs less than $8, which makes it one of the most affordable dining hall alternatives in the city.

Nick's Patio 1710 N. Ironwood Dr.One of the few places open 24 hours, Nick's Patio offers casual Greek dining at affordable prices. A mecca for late-night studiers, Nick's Patio is a good alternative to typical fast food any time of the day.

Rocco's 537 North St. Louis Blvd.One of the best pizza places in South Bend, Rocco's décor is adorned with pictures of past coaches and famous visitors who have also enjoyed one of the restaurant's pies. Though a bit more expensive than the chains, Rocco's more than makes up for it with the quality of its pizzas.

The Vine 103 W. ColfaxCalling itself "The Purveyors of Fine Wine and Food," The Vine is a funky, classy change of pace from traditional South Bend fare. The steaks, pastas, seafood and pizza are delicious, and the atmosphere is unmatched.

University Park MallOnly a bus ride away, the University Park Mall is a perfect place for your general shopping needs. The large department stores include JC Penny's and L.S. Ayres and specialty shops range from Banana Republic to Yankee Candle to Journey's. Tidbit's Food Court also offers a wide range of quick eating. Pizza, Chinese, and McDonald's are all found here. If you are looking for that perfect gift, University Park Mall is a good place to start.

Chippewa BowlIf bowling strikes your fancy, this is an excellent place to visit. With "2 for 1 Tuesdays" and $0.99 games on Wednesdays, Chippewa Bowl offers an inexpensive option for some fun during the week or on the weekends. This is a place for those nights when the workload is light and you do not want to spend much money.

Cinemark Movies 14/Kerasotes 16The two most popular movie theaters among students, both of these theaters will offer the big blockbusters. Cinemark, on Edison, is the closer theater for those who want to a popular movie and do not want to drive. However, Kerasotes attempts to give a more complete movie experience and also offers some smaller budget, more limited release films. If big budget blockbusters are your taste, be sure to check out Cinemark, however, if you are looking for a more diverse fare, be sure to take the drive out to Kerasotes.

FOOTBALL WEEKENDS:

Pep RallyA pep rally is held in the Joyce Center every football Friday at 6 p.m. The rallies are usually comprised of skits, speeches and cheers, led by the Notre Dame marching band. The team itself arrives midway through the rally, with Coach Weis and a few select players giving speeches. Watch for special guests, alumni and past players, like Joe Montana, Tim Brown and Chris Zorich, all of whom spoke last year.

Drummer's CircleThe drummers of the Band of the Fighting Irish gather on the steps of the Main Building on Fridays at midnight, performing cadences and cheers heard throughout Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday.

Pregame TraditionsSaturday morning pregame traditions are anchored by the Notre Dame band, which performs on the steps of Bond Hall before marching to the Stadium. The football team and coaches can be seen on their customary walk from mass at the Basilica to the stadium before the game.

EATING AROUND CAMPUS:

Café de GrastaA close choice for Mod Quad residents (but a hike for everyone else), Café de Grasta is located on the first floor of Grace Hall. It has a by-weight salad bar, coffee, wraps, stir-fry and a wide selection of drinks. Open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The Irish CafeLocated in the law school, The Irish Café is not exclusively for law students, and is the closest option to the main circle. Baked goods, salads, sandwiches, soups and drinks are just some of the food offered. Open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

WaddicksOne of the most popular cafes on campus, Waddicks is conveniently located on the first floor of O'Shaughnessy. A wide selection of baked goods, food and drinks are offered, but the coffee and espresso may be the most popular options. Open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Decio Faculty HallExpect to be surrounded by professors if eating in the Decio Faculty Hall, which is housed in the same building as many professors' offices. Coffee and sandwiches are the regular fare, and it's a great place to meet with a teacher Open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Café PocheFound on the first floor of Bond Hall, Café Poche may go unnoticed by most non-architecture students. It offers deli sandwiches, soups, baked goods, drinks and coffee. Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Café CommonsIf you're in the College of Business, Café Commons is a great place to get food like soup, salad, sandwiches, fruit, coffee and a wide array of drinks. Open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

GreenfieldsA hidden gem located in the Hesburgh Center for International Studies, Greenfields' offers a variety of global cuisine for between five and eight dollars a dish. The fare is far more eclectic than expected, and the best part is that they accept both domer dollars and flexpoints. Open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

ReckersLocated behind South Dining Hall, Reckers is a 24 hour haven for students. Offering relatively inexpensive grill fare, personal pizzas, sandwiches, smoothies and ice cream, it is a popular and often-crowded hangout. It also has several televisions located throughout.

LegendsThough it also hosts shows and other entertainment, Legends is primarily a full-scale restaurant and bar that serves various Notre Dame-themed American fare. Open Monday through Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 9 p.m.; Friday 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 p.m. 12 a.m.; Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 12 a.m. Closed Sundays.

ENTERTAINMENT AROUND CAMPUS:

LegendsLegends periodically hosts concerts, which range from campus bands to big name acts like past performers Gavin DeGraw, the Walkmen and Virginia Coalition.

The DeBartolo Center for the Performing ArtsThe PAC offers a wide range of concerts, plays, films and other performances. Upcoming events include the Summer Shakespeare performance of "The Comedy of Errors," and various film screenings. Current information about upcoming events can be found at the PAC Web site: http://performingarts.nd.edu/

WVFIWVFI is a student-run radio station that also features student DJs. Current schedules can be found on its Web site: http://www.nd.edu/~wvfi/