Group welcomes College faculty

The Saint Mary's Board of Governance lauded the success of its opening events Monday during its first meeting of the semester and welcomed new faculty members.

Student body president Susan McIlduff thanked committee members for their attendance at the all-school Mass held at the Church of Loretto Sunday and welcomed them back to campus.

"The all-school Mass was a huge success and [we had] a great turnout," she said.

Student Activities Board president Claudia Toth cited the high turnout of the Jamaica Shaka as another example of the success of the events.

Many Holy Cross and Notre Dame students commented on the large turnout this year, Toth said.

The revised Saint Mary's readership program - which kicked off Wednesday - is off to a good start, McIlduff said.

McIlduff asked the board to welcome professor Jill Vihtelic to the position of interim vice president and dean of faculty and two new associate deans, Dr. Joseph Incandela of the religious studies department and Deb McCarthy of the science department.

She also asked the board to welcome Vice President of Student Affairs Karen Johnson to campus. Johnson comes from Saint Mary's University in San Antonio, Texas.

In other BOG News:

u Saint Mary's activities night is Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 8.

u Residence Hall Association president Amy Dardinger said that Regina, McCandless and Holy Cross Halls are still in need of a president and vice president.

u The Twilight Tailgate is Thursday, Sept. 7 from 2 p.m. to 9 and will be hosted by the Student Activities Board.