Committee chairs share town ideas

Student Senate committee chairs provided updates on their progress and student body president Lizzi Shappell discussed her plan to improve community relations at a brief Senate meeting Wednesday.

On Friday, Shappell and Community Relations committee chair Josh Pasquesi will meet with Karen White, member of the South Bend Common Council and chair of its Community Relations committee. They will discuss South Bend's amended disorderly house ordinance - a point of contention between Notre Dame students and the South Bend community.

Former student body president Dave Baron appealed to the Common Council last February, claiming the amended ordinance unfairly targeted Notre Dame students. Friday's meeting will be a follow-up to that, Shappell said.

Gender Issues committee co-chair Ashley Weiss updated senators on her committee's progress regarding the upcoming eating disorders conference - a campus-wide event Shappell announced last spring.

Weiss said her group is coming up with a title for the conference and working with an event coordinator to improve planning.

Residence Life committee chair Pat Knapp announced a list of issues his group plans to tackle in the coming weeks. He said they are working on a "printer issue" in Siegfried and the use of Domer Dollars in the DeBartolo vending machines.

The committee will continue to generate ideas for a college town as well, Knapp said.