Exchange limit fails aims

Unfortunately, I will be out of town for an interview this weekend, but I have found a friend whose sister (a 2004 ND alumna) is going to be visiting and needs a ticket. Upon having my ticket exchange request denied, I was provided with two reasons as to why there was a 300 person limit: 1) the Ticket Office is trying to crack down on scalping, and 2) they are trying to maintain "the sanctity of the student section." This alumna is coming into town to see the Michigan game and if I cannot give her my ticket she will be forced to purchase one from a scalper, only further promoting the very activity the ticket office is attempting to stop.

Additionally, Coach Weis has now spent two weeks begging for the student body to be as loud as possible. He sincerely feels that we are an integral part of this team's success and constantly emphasizes that point. If the ticket office is at all concerned with the sanctity of the student section, they would exchange this ticket so that an empty, silent seat may be filled with a screaming alumna.

Finally, I am also an employee of the university and I am frequently reminded that as such I am a representative of the University of Notre Dame. Likewise, being on the staff of the Ticket Office would make them representatives of the University of Notre Dame. This university was built on a foundation of Catholic beliefs, a few of which include helping others and doing the right thing. Whether it is in providing service to the South Bend community or holding the door for someone at LaFortune, we are constantly encouraged to go out of our way to help others.

The way I see it, they have a chance to take 30 seconds out of their day and help a fellow member of the Notre Dame community by doing the right thing. Whether you are trying to maintain the sanctity of the student section, prevent scalping or offer a helping hand, one person can make a difference.

Brandon Burke

senior

Siegfried Hall

Sept. 14