-

-

Facebook update means increased visibility

Letter to the Editor | Thursday, September 7, 2006

I woke up a few days ago to find that, much to my horror, all my recent doings on the Facebook were being looked at by all my friends. Without asking, they all could all see my relationship status, whose walls I had been commenting on, which shady-looking friends I had recently made and all of my personal photos (some of which I’d rather not have the entire campus, my parents and my future employers seeing). I found, to my delight, that I could see similar details for my friends. The next day I woke up to find that the Facebook had streamlined this entire stalking process for me.

The new layout showed me some emerging trends in Facebook activity, including changing one’s status to “is being creeped out by the new Facebook!” and joining groups such as “Facebook is friggin creepy now” or “STOP THE STALKERS.” Several friends added Facebook notes about the new layout, and they all seem to hate it.

I like the new Facebook layout.

Mark Zuckerman’s team did nothing to add creepier, more personal content to the site. We have nobody to blame for the uncomfortable feeling we get from this new layout but ourselves. The calming white and blue color scheme of the Facebook doesn’t make the information we post to it any less vulnerable. The new Facebook layout reminds us just how much information we’re giving out to people who really don’t know us very well at all. It doesn’t show anything that any self-repecting Facebook stalker, parent, administrator or employer couldn’t figure out given half an hour. While before we could be lulled into making the most thorough profiles imaginable, we finally all realize the value of our privacy.

Kudos to Facebook. This latest stunt is sure to cost them plenty of traffic, but it’s the right thing to do. It forces us to realize just how personal and important to us the information we give out is.

That being said, the new home page layout is ugly as sin.

John Gorski is a Junior in Computer Engineering, and thanks to the Facebook, now knows everything about you.

John Gorski

junior

Stanford Hall

Sept. 6