Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Fan etiquette questioned in loss

I'd like to know what area of the senior section Megan Paulsen was in this past Saturday, but I sure don't remember seeing a mass exodus of "senior after senior leaving the game before halftime," or a near silent student section that she claims existed for "the majority of the game." Yes, I did observe a handful of seniors leaving around the forth quarter. And yes, I did notice our section, as well as myself, grow quieter as the game wore on. However, the senior section did not paint the picture of apathy that Paulsen would like people to believe.

I was very fortunate to have my family come in for the game and be able to have my sister, who attends Auburn, in the student section. I wanted to show my family, especially my sister, what Notre Dame football was all about, and the unique experience that is our senior section. In the fourth quarter, while some of the seniors left, my sister was shocked the majority of us still remained, saying: "At Auburn, nearly all of the students would have left a long time ago." The other members of my family where also impressed that the majority of us still remained to support our team.

Paulsen seems to forget the majority of seniors that still stayed for the game, or perhaps she confused us all with the thousands upon thousands of Notre Dame fans outside the student section that left early. She also seems to forget that our student section is still unlike any other in nation, despite the few that decide to leave. Somehow, though, five members of my family where able to notice these things.

I cannot believe that Paulsen, after being away from this university for six years, sees the need to attack the entire senior section after one of the worst losses in school history. Somehow, I have a hard time believing she never witnessed members of her class leaving games early six years ago. She can choose to dwell on the few seniors that decided to leave Saturday's game; however, I will remember those seniors who stayed until the Alma Mater, leaving such an impact on my family that they all agreed it was the greatest display of school spirit they had ever seen.

Ryan Ritter

senior

Sorin Hall

Sept. 18