Iraq war salient issue for midterm elections

When voting in the upcoming mid-term elections this November, the issues concerning the Iraq war are incredibly important to consider. There are around 30 highly contested races in this upcoming election, the date of which is quickly approaching. The war in Iraq is truly a watershed issue in this election because there is so much controversy surrounding it. This war has the largest impact of any other issue on our generation's political consciousness.

We at Democracy Matters feel that it is important to research all sides of the issue and be as informed as possible. No one is saying that one side of the issue is better than the other. However you feel, or even if you have not yet formed an opinion on the issue, we would like to invite you to the Iraq War panel discussion on Thursday at 12:30 p.m. in the Hesburgh Center for International Studies. Notre Dame faculty members will discuss what actions they believe the United States should take with regards to Iraq. Should we withdraw from Iraq? Should we remain in Iraq? Should we commit more deeply to Iraq? These are all questions which faculty members will attempt to answer.

Later that afternoon, at 5:30 p.m., there will be a more informal discussion about Foreign Policy with Heather Hurlburt in the Coleman Morse Lounge. Pizza, pop and politics will be provided. There will be an opportunity for people to register to vote and pick up absentee ballot applications at both events. Join us to learn more about these issues before exercising your civic duty to vote on these issues! Your opinion on the war in Iraq is important, and will not be heard unless you express it through voting in the upcoming elections. Please register to vote!

Colleen McGue

junior

off campus

Sept. 26