The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.



Leaders address dining hall issues

Liz Harter | Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Executives addressed the dining hall’s potentially premature closing time and theft possibilities at Monday’s Board of Governance (BOG) meeting.

For the second consecutive week, BOG revisited the problematic issues of Dining Services putting away food before the dining hall’s specified closing time at 7 p.m. and the lack of a secure storage area for students’ backpacks.

“The executive board [met] with Barry [Bowles], the director of Sodexho [and College Food Services]. He reinforced his previous statement that said that the doors [of the dining hall] will not close until 7 p.m.,” student body president Susan McIlduff said.

Bowles reminded executives that anyone who does not make it to dinner before 7 p.m. always has the option of using a meal credit at the Dalloway’s pasta bar open from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, McIlduff said.

The executive board and Bowles also met to discuss students’ ability to bring backpacks into the dining hall.

“Last year Sodexho had to replace close to $24,000 in silverware, plates and other dishes [due to theft],” McIlduff said.

If backpacks were allowed into the dining hall, this cost would most likely go up, she said.

Theft was the primary reason BOG discussed the allowance of backpacks in the dining hall.

As of last May, Bowles said, cameras were installed in the lobby that focused on the shelves where backpacks are stored.

Saint Mary’s Security, Sodexho and the Shaheen Bookstore would have access to those videos if a theft were to be reported, McIlduff said.

In other BOG News:

u This Thursday, the junior board will host the “Let Your Sister Pick Your Mister,” dance from 8 to 11 p.m. in the Student Center. Tickets are $5 per person and the theme is retro, Junior Class president Colleen Kielty said.

Campaigning for the first-year elections begins Thursday at noon. There are five tickets running for president and vice president, Elections commissioner Christin Molnar said.