ND Women's Golf: Irish close in on team goals, finish 12th in S.C.

Notre Dame posted scores near its team goals but managed only a 12th-place finish out of 18 teams at the Cougar Classic at Yeaman's Hall Club in Hanahan, S.C. Monday and Tuesday.

The Irish (301-300-305; 42-over par) finished 33 strokes behind tournament winner Florida State.

"We were happy with our team scoring," senior Noriko Nakazaki said. "It's just that the other teams played better."

Nakazaki led the way for the Irish, posting a 220 (76-72-72; plus-4) to tie for No. 14 overall in the tournament.

"I can definitely improve," she said. "I shot a 3-under on the front nine in my third round. I should have been under-par [Tuesday]. It was upsetting."

The Irish completed 36-holes on day one, ending the second round at No. 11. The low round for Notre Dame on Monday came from sophomore Lisa Maunu, who fired a 1-under par 71.

Maunu finished the tournament tied for No. 20 overall with a score of 222 (71-75-76; plus 7).

"[Lisa's] attitude was very good," Nakazaki said. "She has improved a lot over last year and shot a great first round. She wasn't happy with her final two rounds though."

On Tuesday, Nakazaki's 72 was the low round for the Irish.

In her first tournament, freshman Annie Brophy compiled an 11-over 229, good for a tie for 45th.

She compiled 11 birdies, tying her for No. 10 overall in the tournament in that category.

"Overall, I was pleased with how I played in the tournament," she said. "But there are definitely some things I need to work on, such as my short game. For our first tournament of the year, we played pretty well, but we can still play a lot better."

Freshman Kristen Wetzel (239, 83-75-81; plus 23) and senior Stacy Brown (243, 80-78-85; plus 27) also contributed scoring rounds for the Irish.

North Carolina's Lauren Hunt led all individual scorers with a 6-under par 210, while Florida State's Caroline Westrup shot the low round of the tournament on Tuesday with a 6-under 66.

Next on the Irish schedule is the Notre Dame Invitational at Warren Golf Course Sept. 23 and 24.

Before that begins, newly named head coach Susan Holt will join the team for the first time.

Holt is replacing former coach Debby King.

Assistant coach Kyle Veltri, who has led Notre Dame in the interim, will stay on as an assistant. Veltri could not be reached for comment Tuesday as the team was flying back to South Bend.