-

-

New technologies open campus

Staff Editorial | Friday, September 1, 2006

Notre Dame students often criticize the University for being shielded by a seemingly impenetrable screen. Now, thanks to the efforts of campus organizations, that screen is becoming more transparent.

With access to more than 60 cable television channels, wireless Internet and three of the nation’s best newspapers stacked high in the dining halls – the world and its issues are only getting closer.

The increased exposure to national and world events is striking – and, more importantly, permanent.

Unlike the myriad of “awareness” weeks that periodically flood campus with information about a select issue or cause, continuous exposure to national news makes the world outside Notre Dame more real than ever before.

The habit of picking up a paper every day or tuning into the local news every night will serve students not just this fall, but throughout their lives.

What’s more, the “bubble”-bursting effort is not the product of a single campus office or organization. Cable television and wireless Internet come from the Office of Residence Life and Housing. The College Readership Program – delivering 1,600 copies of USA Today, The New York Times and the Chicago Tribune – is the brainchild of a student senator and backed by student government. Students and the administration appear to be united on this front, complementing each other’s work on an immeasurably important cause.

Both should be lauded for their initiatives, and encouraged to continue them.

The University and student leaders have made the information available. Their efforts will be measured not by the number of newspapers picked up, but by what students choose to do with the information they now have.

A student population that is better educated on world events should have no excuse for ignorance or complacency. With so much information available, to not know is to not care