Pride in Notre Dame

I was very impressed with the students, faculty, staff and alumni for showing the true spirit of the University as they rose to the occasion to treat Penn State guests with the utmost respect at the football game this past weekend. I would like to start by saying that I have always been impressed by the manner in which Notre Dame students, faculty and staff conduct themselves toward me, a transplant professor who went to Purdue for my undergraduate degree. They are always very polite and respectful. But in the events surrounding major sporting events at other universities I have seen all too many times where a rivalry evokes poor, unsportsmanlike behavior. This is my second year here at Notre Dame, and this weekend my husband's family, who are Penn State alumni, came to Notre Dame for the game. They enjoyed their visit very much and were treated impeccably by all the people that they encountered.

It started with our walk to campus, during which a parking attendant welcomed them and gave them a campus map to help them get around campus more easily. It continued with two Notre Dame alumni stopping them to say hello outside the stadium, asking them where they were from and wishing them a good visit. Then a random man walking across campus said, "Good luck today." There was not even a hint of sarcasm. Finally, upon entering the stadium, the person collecting tickets greeted them with a "Welcome to Notre Dame." I enjoyed the outcome of the game very much, as I was the only person in my family cheering for Notre Dame that day, but I will say that I felt an incredible sense of pride in the manner in which the Notre Dame family treated their visitors. While I am a very proud Purdue alumnae, I am sorry to say that when I have brought guests with me to my alma mater, although they have not been treated badly, they have never been treated this well either.

Kerry Meyers

Assistant Professional Specialist

Sept. 11